for Institutional Diversity
Massasoit Community College
508-588-9100, Ext. 1304
Office for Institutional Diversity
508-588-9100, Ext. 1309
Diversity Committee | Programs | Members | Meeting Schedule
The Massasoit Diversity Committee is dedicated to improving awareness of issues related to diversity and
equity within the college by sponsoring programs, workshops and events that promote diversity and inclusion.
The Diversity Committee includes members of the faculty, student body and staff. It convenes frequently to review the impact of current college issues on multiculturalism at Massasoit Community College. Popular Diversity Committee events and initiatives include the Intercultural Film Festival, NECIT, Collegiate Invitational Leadership Summit, Diversity Essay Contest and Diversity & Student Life Speaker Series.
Massasoit Community College welcomes, unites, values and appreciates all people inclusive of all races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, socio-economic classes, religions, abilities and ages. We pride ourselves in our tradition of excellence and in our historic mission of accepting all who desire to learn, empowering them as individuals and as groups to develop their potential.
Recognizing that our diversity is an important source of our strength, we respond to the needs of our community and expect that everyone at Massasoit respects the rights and affirms the dignity of all people. We strive to construct a safe and trustful environment where together we can engage in open dialogue.
The Massasoit Community is strongly committed to providing access for members of all groups within its service area, emphasizing and fostering cultural pluralism, enhancing the traditions of culture and language, encouraging the development of economic opportunities, providing support programs and ensuring equal opportunity for all persons.
Since we are dedicated to creating a challenging and supportive environment where the members of our community can attain their educational and personal goals and we encourage all to take responsibility for their learning, to discover their potential, and to achieve their ambitions, we proposed the following action steps:
- Develop programs to stimulate awareness and promote acceptance of differences on campus
and within the community.
- Recommend and encourage the integration of multi-cultural contributions in the curriculum
and course content.
- Monitor and assist in the hiring, recruitment and retention of faculty and staff.
- Conduct assessment of current diversity practices.
- Provide diversity training opportunities to all employees and students.
- Seek to provide conflict resolution for incidences of intolerance.
- Compile diversity information and make available for libraries.
- Assess students' perception of how well the college meet their needs and recommend programs
and activities to address deficiencies.